Some information about the coming season’s venues has been shared by WST.
The 2021 English Open will be played in Milton Keynes … with fans
Stadium MK To Host Snooker’s English Open
The world’s top snooker stars will return to Milton Keynes later this year when the English Open takes place at Stadium MK.
The world ranking event will run from November 1 to 7 and is open to all 128 players on the World Snooker Tour. Judd Trump won the title last season, beating Neil Robertson 9-8 in a dramatic final, having come through a strong field which also included the likes of Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby, John Higgins, Shaun Murphy, Mark Williams and Kyren Wilson.
Stadium MK has hosted a wide range of snooker events over the past year, behind closed doors. But this time, WST is planning to welcome fans to the outstanding Milton Keynes venue for the first time.
WST has led the sporting world in the post-lockdown return of live audiences, and will continue to work closely with the UK Government on Covid-19 regulation. Fans can be assured that all necessary precautions will be taken at events to minimise the risk of virus transmission, keeping safety as our highest priority.
A WST spokesman said: “We are delighted to be heading back to Stadium MK for a huge event on our calendar. Over the past year we have staged nearly 20 events at this venue, many of them in a Covid-secure bubble, and the team at the venue have been fantastic to work with.
“It’s wonderful to now plan to host a tournament at the same location which is open to fans. For the players, competing at Stadium MK in front of a packed crowd will be a thrilling experience. We expect to see tickets selling fast as the English Open will have an incredibly strong field. The chance to see the very best players in the world cannot be missed.”
The English Open is the second of four events in the 2021/22 Home Nations Series and will receive extensive live television coverage on Eurosport. A qualifying round, for players seeded outside the top 16, will take place in September.
The venue has supported the Tour for the best part of this season and it’s only right that they can now host another event, this time with fans in attendance. I’m not that certain that players will be thrilled though. They must be sick and tired of the place 🙄 …
Phil Haigh also reports about venues for other events:
World Grand Prix, Snooker Shoot Out and English Open get new venues this season
The calendar for the upcoming 2021/22 snooker season continues to take shape with three ranking events getting new venues for the campaign.
It was announced on Tuesday that Stadium MK in Milton Keynes will host the English Open in November, while the Snooker Shoot Out will head to the Morningside Arena in Leicester in January.
World Snooker Tour have also listed the World Grand Prix as taking place at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry on their website, with the event held in December.
The calendar for the season was announced last month but with a number of gaps and details TBC, so those gaps are slowly being filled and details firmed up.
Tickets for the English Open, Grand Prix and Shoot Out are all listed as going on sale this Friday (28 May).
The Sportsman report that the Aldersley Arena in Wolverhampton and Venue Cymru in Llandudno will host the other two Cazoo Series events after the Grand Prix – the Players Championship and Tour Championship.
WST chairman Steve Dawson told the Sportsman: ‘It’s fantastic to add new host cities to our roster, such as Leicester, Coventry and Wolverhampton, where we know there is deep-rooted support for snooker, while keeping many of the superb venues we have grown to love over the years.
‘The players are excited by the chance to get back out on the road around the UK, visit these great cities and enjoy the buzz of competing in front of fans.’
The Champion of Champions in November has found a new home this season in Bolton but an announcement is still to come on the venue for the British Open in August.
The sportsman also reports that Mark SElby is delighted to have the Shoot-Out in Leicester
World Champion Mark Selby Delighted As Leicester Lands Ranking Event
After a campaign spent almost entirely in Milton Keynes, snooker is back on the road
World champion Mark Selby is fired up about his home city of Leicester staging a first ever ranking tournament this season.
The 37-year-old, who claimed a fourth Betfred World Championship crown in early May at the Crucible, is delighted Wednesday’s new calendar for 2021-22 brings the Shootout to the East Midlands.
After a campaign spent almost entirely in Milton Keynes, snooker is back on the road, with venues across the UK as well as Berlin, Gibraltar and quite possibly China and Malta too.
Selby, who must wait until January for his big day at the Morningside Arena, was the runner-up at last season’s quickfire event with frames lasting 10 minutes and a shot-clock dropping to just 10 seconds.
Selby, who watched Leicester City win the FA Cup at Wembley before seeing them miss out on a Champions League spot against Spurs at the King Power, was off to play golf with two of Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker’s sons at top course Sunningdale on Wednesday.
He said, “I am delighted Leicester has finally got a ranking tournament with the Shootout.
“It is a hotbed of snooker and has produced a lot of players, and there is huge interest in the game in the city. I expect the crowds to be really good for that one.
“Leicester has been very high-profile as a sporting city over recent years with obviously the football, and rugby’s Leicester Tigers, and the Riders basketball who play at the Arena.
“But apart from the odd invitation event or the Championship League, Leicester hasn’t had a big tournament like that.
“I didn’t play the Shootout a few times, but I’ll definitely be there this season.
“The atmosphere will be excellent, Vikki and Sofia can come and there will be a lot of friends there to cheer the Leicester players.
“For me personally, there are a few events on the new calendar in the Midlands which is going to make travelling there from home much easier.
“Of course it is brilliant to be going back to all our usual venues and some new and exciting ones. And it shows that things are gradually getting back to normality.
“But Milton Keynes and the MK Stadium served a valuable purpose for us all last season, if they hadn’t have staged all those tournaments we probably wouldn’t have played at all.
“We could easily have been sitting at home and not earning like many other sports.
“And so I am glad that has been recognised with them keeping the English Open this season, to show some gratitude from the sport. It’s the least we could do.”
The UK Championship will be back in York, and the Masters at Alexandra Palace – with the Champion of Champions in Bolton and the revived British Open still awaiting a venue.
The English Open is the event remaining in Milton Keynes but the other Home Series tournaments will be in Glasgow, Belfast and Celtic Manor.
In the Cazoo Series the venues will be the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, the Aldersley Arena in Wolverhampton and the Venue Cymru in Llandudno. The German Masters will return to Berlin, the new Turkish Masters is in Antalya, and the Gibraltar Open is back on ‘the Rock’ with further events possible in China and Malta.
Governing body World Snooker Tour, mindful of recent developments in certain areas of the UK related to the Covid Indian variant, issued their own statement on Wednesday.
It read: “We will continue to work closely with the government and all of our venues and partners on Covid-19 regulation. Fans can be assured that all necessary precautions will be taken at events to minimise the risk of virus transmission, keeping safety as our highest priority.
“If at the time of the event the Government restrictions force this event to change its terms of attendance, customers will be offered a variety of options and where necessary refunds will be made available. As an additional measure and where possible, e-tickets will be issued in place of more traditional ticketing methods.”
WST chairman Steve Dawson said, “We are thrilled to offer this chance to snooker fans across the UK to come to our events next season and enjoy the incredible experience of watching snooker live.
“The World Championship at the Crucible was a landmark for British sport in welcoming back a live audience and the atmosphere was extraordinary. We want to see that repeated across our tour next season.
“It’s fantastic to add new host cities to our roster, such as Leicester, Coventry and Wolverhampton, where we know there is deep-rooted support for snooker, while keeping many of the superb venues we have grown to love over the years.
“The players are excited by the chance to get back out on the road around the UK, visit these great cities and enjoy the buzz of competing in front of fans.
“There has never been a better time to watch snooker live and to witness the remarkable talent of the leading stars.”
So the next season;s calendar is progressively taking shape.
If my memory serves me well, Mark Selby, to his own admission, only played in the Shoot Out this season because he was on course for the Euro Series bonus … so I’m a bit surprised by his enthusiasm here. Of course it will be great for him to have his family watching but I can’t help to think that the choice of Leicester for the Shoot Out wasn’t just random. If the plot was to make sure that the World Champion would support the rather controversial “ranking event” often shunned by top players … it worked!
3 thoughts on “Tour News – 25 May 2021 – Venues announced”
Maybe with an audience Milton Keynes will feel different. And maybe also with some places to go, there must be cafés and restaurants. 🙂
For sure Csilla but still … they must be sick from the place!
Perhaps. But it’s also possible that Mark Selby welcomes the profile that the Shoot-out will bring to Leicester. It might attract more people, perhaps young players, to the clubs. Regardless of his own views of the format, he would certainly recognise the benefits to his hometown.
For my part, I would welcome a slightly different atmosphere that a new location might attract. There’s no doubt that the Shoot-out is an innovative idea which helps to diversify tournament structures, even though most of us long-time fans don’t rate it in terms of snooker quality.
Comments are closed.